Friday, November 2, 2007

The Linux Attitude

I've been talking to some Linux users (sometimes you cannot avoid to). I am really trying to understand what is going on in their mind -- what their attitude towards computers is. After observing the way they work with computers for a while I concluded that whereas I hate it when software does not work that I install, a Linux user gets excited. He (yes, let's be honest, it's going to be a he) gets excited and feels challenged to get the software to work anyway. "And you can," he will say, "because the source code is available!" I'm psyched.

panic.jpg

In my experience this is the attitude a Linux user needs, because, contrary to operating systems like Windows or Mac OS X, not working seems to be the default behavior in Linux. Segmentation faults, permission problems, kernel panics, you name it.

So Linux users are excited most of the time.