Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Rails Sucks, Here's Why

Here's a nice rant by a guy that calls himself "a Hack", which I feel is unjustified. He's not a hack because he has the (seemingly) rare ability to look beyond the hype, beyond the propaganda. He actually looked at Ruby on Rails (a web framework for a creepy language called Ruby) from an objective point of view and makes good points.

For those who don't have time to read it all (it is kind of nerdy and technical, so I won't blame you), here's the summary:

I recently finished using Ruby on Rails to write a simple bug tracking application. I thought I'd take this new RAD environment for a spin, having heard all the hype.

It kind of blew.

The question is, why does Rails blow? Here's my theory: it was built by amateurs, by hobbyists, by volunteers that have no sense of quality. They are paid by nobody. And as you should be aware: the less you pay, the more crappy the work. It's one of the most important rules in business.