Friday, September 28, 2007

"iPhone too expensive, I prefer OpenMoko!"

Ryan Pollock:

So I've been drooling over the iPhone since it came out but I have some serious reservations about getting it. Yeah its awesome and slick and it will make women want me and men want to be me, but it costs a freakin fortune! Even after they knocked $200 off of the price it still costs $400 for the "cheap" version. Then they lock you into a service plan with AT&T. I'm not totally against AT&T but I don't like the idea of being locked into it for 2 years are whatever. Also it has wifi and internet access but no IM client. WTF is up with that? Also you can't just install software on it because its all locked down by Apple. I know that hackers have unlocked the iPhone and I'm sure that I could follow the instructions and do it myself, but why bother when there is going to be such a better alternative with OpenMoko!

OpenMoko, the pre-alpha buggy version costs $300. That's $99 difference with the very slick iPhone. Yes it's cheaper, but what you get half-done freetard software on an ugly device. Isn't reliability worth $99? I would say so.